| What is PAN (Permanent Account Number) ?
PAN is an unique identification number, issued to all the taxpayers throughout the Kingdom. PAN identifies each taxpayer uniquely countrywide.
PAN is allotted only once in the lifetime of a taxpayer. It never changes. PAN becomes necessary for computer data processing of taxpayer`s information. PAN registration has made the database very simple and transparent.
Following persons must obtain PAN :
1.Natural persons who engaged in the business (commercial transaction) registering or without registering firm and who have to pay income tax or VAT.
2.Partnership Firm, Company and Organization engaged in commercial transaction who have to pay income tax or VAT.
3.All organization deducting tax at source.
How do you get PAN ?
Collect the application form from concerned IRO. You can also download the forms from Forms link at left side. There are three different application forms that differ according to the taxpayer type:
2. Partnership Firm, Private Limited Company, Public Limited Company, Corporation, Others
3. Tax Deduction at Source (TDS)
Fill in the application form and submit the application to the concerned IRO.
The individual who wants to register a proprietorship firm or any partner of a partnership firm or the CEO of a limited company/corporation should visit the IRO in order to process the application. If you come to register for partnership firm, limited company, corporation, and others, you may send a representative. You must give him authority by filling in and signing the Power of Attorney form. The power of attorney must be produced to the tax officer of the IRO`s Tax payer service section at the time of application. The representative must produce his citizenship card.
Submit the application form and all necessary documents to the IRO and follow the instructions given by the IRO officials.
Which Documents must be submitted when obtaining PAN ?
Applicants for new registration
1. Application form.
2. Copy of the citizenship certificate of the individual or of the partner who signs the application for partnership firms or the person who signs the application form for limited companies/corporations.
3. Copy of the company/firm registration certificate.
4. Two passport size photo of the individual or of the partner who signs the application for partnership firms or the person who signs the application form for limited companies/corporations.
5. Hand drawn sketch of the business location of the applicant.
6. Power of attorney in case a representative is sent to the IRO for registration (except for applicants registering as individual).
Applicants for re-registration
1. Application form.
2. Copy of citizenship certificate.
3. Copy of the firm/company registration certificate.
4. Recommendation letter from local FNCCI or concerned association.
5. Two (preferably black&white) passport size photo of the individual or of the partner who signs the application for partnership firms or the person who signs the application form for limited companies/corporations.
6. Hand drawn sketch of the business location of the applicant.
7. Power of attorney in case a representative is sent.
Where to apply
Registration form should be submitted to the concerned Inland Revenue Office.
When to apply
As soon as the liability is created to pay income tax or VAT by running the business.
Is there any provision for fee ?
In order to get PAN, there is no fee or deposit imposed. However, registration form should be correctly filled out along with required documents.